Superbowl for (Jeff) Saturday’s Kids

We were thrilled and honored to represent American Family Insurance, who was one of the title corporate sponsors at Monday’s fundraising event:  Superbowl for Saturday’s Kids at Woodland Bowl, benefiting The Peoples Burn Foundation.

IMG_0216

Money raised at this event benefits Jeff and Karen Saturday’s “Camp Saturday“, a FREE week long camp in the summer at Flat Rock River Camp for any child age 5 to 18 who has suffered a burn injury.

Camp Saturday is a week-long specialized residential camp for children who are burn survivors to heal from physical and emotional scars by providing opportunity “just to be kids” with volunteer counselors comprised mostly of firefighters and paramedics. The camp offers traditional adventures filled with therapeutic healing for young burn survivors for a week of summertime fun within a nurturing environment amongst their peers.

IMG_0214

Many campers were in attendance at Monday’s event to mingle with those who came to bowl and raise money for next summer’s camp while enjoying a yummy meal, compliments of Sullivan’s Steakhouse.  Jeff and Karen Saturday welcomed everyone and spoke from their heart about why this event was so special to them and their campers.

IMG_0190

Per their bio on Camp Saturday’s website, The Saturday’s became involved with The Peoples Burn Foundation after their youngest son burned both of his hands on the glass doors of a lit fireplace. They learned first hand the long recovery process of a burn injury and how it affects a child.

Former Colts Player and Superbowl Champion, Hunter Smith and his band, The Hunter Smith Band, performed live while we bowled and bid on silent auction items.  (The band is AWESOME!  Check them out – we all bought their CD, which Hunter Smith autographed for us.  He was so NICE).

IMG_0205

Band members Justin Langebartels, Alex Reiff, Ethan Ehrstine, Kyle Whiteley, and Hunter Smith

We LOVED the shirts available for purchase from Zella Mae Inspirations.  Every shirt they make conveys a positive message and for each shirt purchased Monday night, they donated a shirt to camp.  We HIGHLY encourage you check them out!  Amazing stuff!

IMG_0218

Writing our names on our purchases from Zella Mae. 🙂

Here’s some more fun pictures from the night:

IMG_0198

Girls V. Boys. We ALMOST beat them 1st Game.

IMG_0217 IMG_0201 IMG_0221

IMG_0193

Camp Saturday
Healing through Encouragement, Acceptance, Respect, Togetherness & Sanctity

For information about Camp Saturday, please contact:
Lora Hays (317-518-5820) lhays@peoplesburnfoundation.org
Cindy Allison, Camp Director (317-803-2876), callison@peoplesburnfoundation.org

As part of the American Family Insurance “family”, we couldn’t be prouder that year round our company partners with & supports local organizations such as this in & around Indianapolis.  American Family Insurance, year after year, shows up and validates why we became a part of this company 12 years ago.

Shawna O’Brien
The Patrick D. O’Brien Agency

Advertisements

Why you Should Never Let A Candle Burn to the Very Bottom of a Glass Pillar

It’s amazing how the Midwest weather can change in just 10 days.  Two weekends ago we were sitting in shorts and tank tops watching our son’s baseball game under the sun on an 80 degree day.  Today – the temperature maybe topped at 45 degrees.

We turned our heat and fireplace on and the candles came out.  Don’t ask my why, but I typically only burn candles in cooler weather.  It makes me feel more “cozy”.

CandleWhen I dug out our glass jar candles, I noticed I held on to a couple that were almost burned to the glass bottom.  I’m not sure how much life they have in them but surely they’d be okay for just tonight.  Right?

WRONG!  You should never let the candle burn to the very bottom.  No matter how tempted you are to get the very last scent from the remaining wax, you should toss the candle once the wax drops below half an inch.

Candles cause nearly 10,000 house fires a year (35% from candles in the bedroom) and those candles I just mentioned, are a fire hazard.  Without enough wax in my pillar as a buffer, the flame can ignite debris (like a match particle that’s been left in the candle) and cause a blaze to flare up.  Even if a fire doesn’t ignite, the low-level of wax in the jar increases the likelihood of the flame brushing against the sides and the bottom.  If the glass gets hot enough, it could shatter.  In any case, if you let the wax burn lower than half an inch, you are putting your home at risk.

Although most of the time, the candle I’m burning is close to us like on a shelf or an end table, why risk it?  They’re going in the trash.  And, while I’m at it, I’m going to purge all other kinds of candles that are shorter than two inches.  It just gives me more reason to buy some pretty fall scented new ones!

Where should my first stop be on my candle shopping spree?

– S.O.
POB Agency